Tip plasty is a great solution for those who have a bulbous or round-tipped nose that can be bothersome in achieving a perfect, symmetrical appearance. Everyone desires to have a perfect-looking nose, but not everyone was born with it. Noses come in different shapes and sizes, from crooked noses, round, pointy, and flat. No matter what your nose shape is, most people still desire that pointy symmetrical nose.
However, unlike other body parts wherein you can exercise to get your desired body shape, the nose you were born in will stay the same no matter how much you massage it or do exercises. This is where tip plasty comes in, and to know more about the procedure, read on!
WHAT IS TIP PLASTY?
This is a form of rhinoplasty, but the focus is on the cartilage of the nose and reshaping it. During this procedure, the nose bone is not altered. This can make the nose smaller or give the tip of the nose more definition. Patients might consider this procedure for the following:
• Reducing a nose tip that is large
• Augmenting a nose tip that is flat
• Lowering a nose tip that is upturned
• Uplifting a nose tip that is droopy
• Straightening a nose tip that is crooked
In some cases, this procedure might be considered for patients experiencing breathing troubles as a result of an abnormal nose tip. Refining the nose or reshaping it may make breathing easier. Sinus infections may also be more common in patients with an abnormal nose tip. Altering it may help to reduce sinus infection incidence.
There are several techniques a surgeon might use to accomplish a patient’s goals. On average, procedures take one to two hours. The surgeon will give the patient details about what to expect with the technique they will use.
TIP PLASTY VS. RHINOPLASTY
A traditional rhinoplasty puts most of the focus on the bone of the nose where tip plasty is focused on the cartilage. For patients who are seeking a smaller or subtler nose change that involves the tip of their nose and cartilage, this procedure may be an ideal choice. It can have a big impact on the aesthetic of the patient’s face, but the procedure is typically less involved compared to a traditional rhinoplasty, which may make recovery a bit easier to handle.
Ultimately, to decide whether tip plasty or a full rhinoplasty is the best choice, patients should consult with their cosmetic surgeon. Once the surgeon is able to examine the patient’s nose and face and understand what their cosmetic goals are, they can recommend which procedure is likely to provide the desired results.
TIP PLASTY METHODS
Different techniques can be applied for procedures in accordance with the needs of the patient. The closed rhinoplasty technique is one of them. In closed technique, the duration of the operation is shorter than the other techniques and the recovery after surgery is much faster. Another technique is the open rhinoplasty technique. This technique that the doctor’s experience is much more important in the surgery. As with the other rhinoplasty surgeries, the control area of the surgeon is narrower in the open rhinoplasty operation. Both methods have advantages and disadvantages. Depending on your condition, you can evaluate both methods and select an accurate one
The surgeon might use either open or closed approach to tip plasty. In the case of open approach, he makes a small incision under the nose tip between the nostrils. Open surgery is used when the patient requires more extensive sculpting of the nose.
Closed tip plasty means that the surgeon makes the incisions inside of the nostril. This approach is often used in rhinoplasty procedures when minor adjustments to the nasal structure is required. Sometimes, non-surgical tip plasty is an option. During this procedure, the surgeon injects dermal fillers into certain areas to smooth out bumps, improve nasal symmetry and reshape the nasal tip.
Surgical tip plasty is similar to that of standard rhinoplasty surgery. The primary difference is that the procedure is less extensive. Some patients only require reshaping the tip of the nose and no structural changes to the rest of their nose. To achieve this, the surgeon repositions and reshapes the cartilages in the nasal tip according to the specific deformities of the patient.
If the patient has a bulbous tip, it is usually due to the thick nasal skin and soft tissue in the tip of the nasal passages. During the procedure, the surgeon removes the excess soft tissue to create a smaller nasal tip.
For patients with pointy nose tips, the surgeon takes cartilage from other areas to add volume. This cartilage might come from the septum or from other areas like the ears or ribs. If the nasal tip rotates upward or droops, the surgeon might need to rotate the nasal tip to achieve a more desirable angle.
- This method involves the removal of excess skin in the alar. The incision is also done in the lower area of the nostril since it is the part where the stitch will not be visible.
- This is recommended for those who have nostrils that are too wide because of the excess skin on the alar. It can also work for those who have thick alar skin
- This method requires an incision inside the nostrils. The method will reduce the size of the nostrils by tying the skin between the nostrils.
- This method is recommended to those who want a more natural yet good result since the stitches are inside the nose.
- Cartilage tie plasty is the method that involves the tying of the alar cartilage for the nose tip to protrude and look sharper.
- The surgeon will analyze the size and range of the cartilage. Depending on the nose condition, the surgeon will decide whether he will trim a small portion or remove the cartilage.
- This type is for people who already have a pointed tip nose but want to bring it out more.
- Cartilage implant tip plasty is the operation that makes an implant on the nose tip.
- This implant may or may not include the tying process depending on the condition of the patient’s nose.
- If the nose is flat due to excess fats, the surgeon will remove the fat first then put in the implant
- This method is mostly for those who want a more dramatic shape.
- Cartilage reposition tip plasty involves the repositioning of the septum cartilage and putting it in the proper place.
- This method is the most complex under the cartilage surgery since it involves the cartilage, skin, and septum of the nose. Depending on the condition of the nose, an implant may also be included.
- This method is recommended for short or upturned nose or those with a nose bridge that is sunken either because of a failed rhinoplasty in the past or an injury.
Undergoing a tip plasty surgery is completely safe as long as you have it done by a board-certified plastic surgeon who is well experienced or is specializing in tip plasty or rhinoplasty. Also, for added safety, make sure that you discuss with your doctor the risks when getting this procedure.
The duration of the nose tip surgery varies from person to person, as in the other surgeries. Duration of Tip Plasty changes 30 to 60 minutes depending on patients.
The recovery time may be shorter if the patient pays attention to the considerations that is specified by the doctor.
Right after a tip plasty, it is possible to experience mild discomfort, but this is nothing to worry about since your doctor will prescribe you pain medication. You should also expect that you will have to wear a nose splint for a week to protect the bones and cartilage in the operated area.
Moreover, it is a must that you avoid strenuous exercise and activities for two to three weeks. You should also always be mindful that you are not allowed to wear glasses for about four to five weeks, and never blow or pick your nose while the treated area is still healing.
It is necessary to avoid heavy and intensive sports for a certain period of time. Avoid the use of thick-frame glasses. You should be careful when brushing the teeth. Postpone activities such as swimming during the recovery period. Avoid nose-to-nose action, such as blowing. As in the other rhinoplasty surgeries, protect your face from the sunlight.
If you don’t have an anatomical issue about your nose and you’re just not happy with the tip of your nose, tip plasty can be the most appropriate operation for you. In order to decide which rhinoplasty surgery will be suitable for you, you must consult an experienced and talented surgeon.
If you have questions about any rhinoplasty surgery click here and contact Fattan Polyclinic’s experienced staff immediately.